Monday, September 12, 2011

Nexenta - reverting to a previous checkpoint

In the previous post I spoke of corruption on the syspool volume. Instead of reloading the OS I thought I would try to revert to a previous checkpoint and see if that would clear things up. Keep in mind that all a checkpoint is is a snapshot of the syspool.

I'm going to do all of this through the NMC, the NMV always seems to have limitations
To see checkpoints:

nmc@lab-storage:/$ setup appliance checkpoint show
ROOTFS CREATION CHECKPOINT-TYPE CURRENT DEFAULT VERSION
rootfs-nmu-004 Sep 7 14:02 2011 rollback No No 3.1.1
rootfs-nmu-003 Sep 7 13:16 2011 rollback No No 3.1.1
rootfs-nmu-000 Sep 7 11:44 2011 initial No No 3.1.0
rootfs-nmu-002 Sep 7 11:24 2011 upgrade Yes Yes 3.1.1
rootfs-nmu-001 Sep 7 11:13 2011 rollback No No 3.1.0

(I know, the formatting sucks) You can see that "rootfs-nmu-002" is the current checkpoint. I want to make rootfs-nmu-004 the current one.

nmc@lab-storage:/$ setup appliance checkpoint rootfs-nmu-004 activate
Activate rollback checkpoint 'rootfs-nmu-004'? Yes
Checkpoint 'rootfs-nmu-004' has been activated. You can reboot now.

nmc@lab-storage:/$ setup appliance reboot
Reboot appliance 'lab-storage' ? Yes
Operation in progress, it may take up to 30sec, please do not interrupt...

Once the box came back up I re-ran the scrub using "zpool scrub syspool" and there were fewer errors detected, but there were still errors. I went further and further back through the checkpoints and they all had corruption. So now I'll reload the OS. Once nice thing about ZFS is that it all the volume information is saved on the drives.

Lesson learned: always used mirrored syspools

No comments:

Post a Comment